Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Poetic Justice: Two Poems about Cultural Identity


African American      by Dee Starling
Black, Misjudged.
Being judged by the actions of other African Americans,
Automaticaly cause suspicion.
Overlooked for the talents and skills we have.
Don't care about "our" life story.
Brown skin gives them the fear of harm.
"Uneducated" show the scores.
"Crimanals" show the actions.
But overlooked for the talents and skills we have.
Being misjudged.
African American.
A culture I cannot abandon.
My cultural identity.
 

White Boy from Cleveland    by David Vance
 
Being a white boy from Cleveland
my culture is a bit twisted.
Growing up in the ghetto, my mind has shifted.
To live out here you have to be tough, so you
know weights have been lifted.
But I'm still a white boy and love my
Mac and Cheese. Don't forget my second
love, skateboarding. Having a white family,
being "white," then "me," that's
something crazy to see.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment